There are many good reasons that I run:
- Health (mental and physical)
- Overcoming a challenge
- Making new friends / spending time with friends
- Exploring new places
- Do good through volunteering, donations, or coaching others in their running
But today I want to highlight a few alternative reasons to run:
- Wear out $100 shoes – Usually $100 shoes are super fancy and worn to just a few events, like a wedding or graduation. But running shoes get worn until there are holes in the toe, sole, and bank account from buying your next pair.
- Guilt-free pizza – If you run often enough, pizza will always be either carbo-loading for the next run or a savory recovery meal.
- Easy small talk – This one is really for every one around you. If there is a lull in the conversation, they can always ask “What’s your next race?” and fill 5 to 10 minutes easy.
- Kilometer to mile conversions – Finally that 3rd grade math struggle is resolved. If a 5K is 3.1 miles and a 10K is 6.2 miles, than 1 kilometer is .62 miles. (just don’t try on the marathon to mile conversion because that will just make you grumpy)
- Confidence in alleys – When walking to my car at night, I have the confidence in knowing that if a burglar tries to hurt me, I can run really really really far. The fight or flight decision is a no brainer. When to stop, that will depend on if I have any Gu with me.
What are your reasons to run?